For more information on climate change impacts and adaptation strategies for the different sectors/ sub-sectors under this tool:
- Chapter 10: Key Economic Sectors and Services of Working Group II’s contribution to the IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report discusses climate change impacts and adaptation options for key economic sectors and services, including transport, industry (manufacturing and construction and housing), forestry and logging, fisheries and aquaculture, mining and quarrying, and financial services.
- USAID’s Addressing Climate Change Impacts on Infrastructure: Preparing for Change is a series of fact sheets on climate change impacts on various infrastructure systems, including transportation, solid waste management, ICT, and buildings. The fact sheets also suggest potential adaptation measures for each type of infrastructure.
- U.S. Federal Transit Administration’s Flooded Bus Barns and Buckled Rails: Public Transportation and Climate Change Adaptation provides information on the vulnerability of public transportation assets and services to climate change impacts and gives examples of adaptation strategies.
- U.S. Federal Highway Administration’s Assessing the Sensitivity of Transportation Assets to Climate Change includes a sensitivity matrix that documents the sensitivity of transportation modes, including aviation, rail, marine, and river transportation, to climate change effects.
- Chapter 8: Urban areas of Working Group II’s contribution to the IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report explores climate change vulnerabilities and adaptation options in urban areas.
- World Bank’s Urban Risk Assessments: Understanding Disaster and Climate Risk in Cities presents a framework for carrying out urban risk assessment that consists of three pillars, a hazard impact assessment, an institutional assessment, and a socioeconomic assessment.
- United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction’s How To Make Cities More Resilient: A Handbook For Local Government Leaders provides a generic framework for risk reduction and points to good practices and tools that are already being applied in different cities for that purpose.
- Climate Change and Cities: First Assessment Report of the Urban Climate Change Research Network examines mitigation and adaptation strategies for developing and developed cities, enabling readers to utilize information on both and leverage co-benefits between the two. It also provides case studies of effective and efficient practices in cities around the world.
- The Toolkit for Resilient Cities explores how the resilience of critical urban infrastructure systems might be enhanced to prepare cities more effectively for major weather-related hazards and the co-benefits that resiliency actions have (e.g. environmental performance, energy efficiency, safety and security, etc.). The research focuses on physical infrastructure relating to energy, transportation, water, and buildings.
Mining and Metals
- International Council on Mining and Metals’ Adapting to a Changing Climate: Implications for the Mining and Metals Industry examines the risk posed by climate change to mining operations and installations. It also investigates available options for the mining and metals industry to adapt to climate change impacts.
Natural Resources (Forestry, Fisheries, and Biodiversity)
- Chapter 3 to Chapter 7: Natural and Managed Resources and Systems, and Their Uses of Working Group II’s contribution to the IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report provides information on the impacts of climate change on various natural resource systems, including freshwater resources, terrestrial and inland water systems, coastal systems, and ocean systems.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Impacts of Climate Change on the Occurrence of Harmful Algal Blooms discusses the potential impacts of climate change on harmful algal blooms in freshwater and marine ecosystems.
- World Resources Institute’s Reefs at Risk: Revisited provides information on the impacts of climate change on coral reefs.
- WorldFish Center’s policy brief, The Threats to Fisheries and Aquaculture from Climate change, discusses the effects of climate change on fisheries and aquaculture and suggests adaptation strategies.
- Convention for Biodiversity’s Report of the Second Ad Hoc Technical Expert Group on Biodiversity and Climate Change explores how the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity can be integrated into climate change mitigation and adaptation activities.