For more information on climate change impacts on general water resources and management:
- The IPCC Technical Paper on Climate Change and Water provides an in-depth analysis of observed and projected changes in climate as they relate to water. The paper evaluates regional impacts on water supply.
- The World Bank’s Climate Variability and Change: A Basin Scale Indicator Approach to Understanding the Risk to Water Resources Development and Management is a study intended to help bridge the gap between high-level climate change predictions and the needs of water resource decision-makers.
- Water and Climate Change: Understanding the Risks and Making Climate-Smart Investment Decisions by the World Bank illustrates how climate change will affect hydrology and the resulting stress on and vulnerability of the water systems. The climate change dimension is also placed within the context of the impact of other stressors outside the water sector. The analysis is intended to inform the World Bank water sector investments on climate issues and climate-smart adaptation options.
- Addressing Climate Change in Long-Term Water Resources Planning and Management presents eight technical steps to incorporate climate change information into water resources planning, including assessing natural systems response, assessing socioeconomic and institutional response, and assessing system risks.
- Handbook of Current and Next Generation Vulnerability and Adaptation Assessment Tools by the European Commission-funded BASIC project, identifies models that can be used for impact and vulnerability assessments in the water resources sector, and evaluates their strengths and weaknesses.
For more information on climate change impacts on built water supply and sanitation systems:
- Climate Change and Urban Water Utilities: Challenges & Opportunities by the World Bank aims to help improve understanding of climate change on the provision of water and wastewater services by urban utilities; establish an analytical framework to identify and prioritize potential climate change adaptation measures; and assess the feasibility of implementing adaptation measures.
- National Communications are country-specific reports to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change that often contain information and research on a country’s key sectors that may face risks from climate.
- USAID Addressing Climate Change Impacts on Infrastructure: Sanitation Systems, Potable Water Systems are factsheets that summarize climate stressors on sanitation and drinking water services.
- Managing Climate Risk in Water Supply Systems by The International Research Institute for Climate and Society is a technical manual designed to help water resources professionals understand how to use climate information and forecasts to manage hydroclimatic risk and take advantage of opportunities.
- A World Bank field note, Climate Risk Screening of the WSP Portfolio in India: Identifying Key Risk Areas and Potential Opportunities, identifies the risks of climate change on rural and urban water supply and sanitation in India.