The following resources are recommended as supplemental background that may be useful to project teams in applying the screening tools.
Climate Change Data
- The World Bank’s Climate Change Knowledge Portal provides historical and future climate and climate-related datasets.
- The CCKP’s Country Adaptation and Risk Profiles28 synthesize and distill datasets for the purposes of the screening tool.
- The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Working Group I’s contribution to the IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report presents the latest (as of summer 2014) in observed climate changes and future climate projections.
Climate Change Impacts on Energy Systems and Potential Adaptation Strategies:
- Turn Down the Heat: Why a 4°C Warmer World Must be Avoided is a World Bank report focused on the impacts of climate change on developing countries.
- Turn Down the Heat: Climate Extremes, Regional Impacts and the Case for Resilience builds on the previous report and focuses on impacts in Sub-Saharan Africa, South East Asia and South Asia.
- Turn Down the Heat : Confronting the New Climate Normal is a World Bank Report that builds on previous reports and focuses on impacts to development in Latin America and the Caribbean, the Middle East and North Africa, and parts of Europe and Central Asia.
- The World Bank’s Climate Impacts on Energy Systems: Key Issues for Energy Sector Adaptation provides an overview of how climate change might the energy sector and what options exist to address the impacts.
- “Key Economic Sectors and Services,” Chapter 10 in Working Group II’s contribution to the IPCC’s Fifth Assessment Report includes a discussion of climate change impacts and adaptation options for the energy sector.
- Asian Development Bank’s Climate Risk and Adaptation in the Electric Power Sector discusses the exposure and vulnerability of the energy sector to climate change. It identifies adaptation options available to each source of energy generation as well as for the distribution and end use of electrical energy.
- U.S. Department of Energy’s U.S. Energy Sector Vulnerabilities to Climate Change and Extreme Weather examines current and potential future impacts of climate change on the U.S. energy sector. It identifies activities underway to address these challenges and discusses potential opportunities to enhance the climate resilience of U.S. energy system.
- The IPCC Working Group III’s Special Report on Renewable Energy Sources and Climate Change Mitigation includes a discussion on the potential impact of climate change on renewable energy resources.